The Controller is responsible for directing all aspects of accounting for the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Lake Tahoe in accordance with corporate policy and Nevada State Regulations. The responsibilities include but are not limited to the operational direction, administration and coordination of all activities of the casino accounting function to include management of revenue audit, preparation and distribution of flash and daily managerial reports, daily journal entries, the month-end close process, internal and external financial reporting, and budgeting.
The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all inclusive for specific positions.
- Hire, retain, motivate, evaluate and direct general and administrative staff,ensuring employees receive adequate guidance and resources to accomplish established objectives.
- Review activities in the general and administrative areas, to gauge and improve staffing levels, working conditions and other matters which influence quality guest service and profitability.
- Review strengths and weaknesses of all general and administrative functions, in order to most effectively implement changes to improve operations and most efficiently allocate resources.
- Establish department standards, guidelines and objectives and maintains other administrative processes such as budget and staffing to ensure proper planning and efficient operation of assigned areas.
- Monitor and evaluate all reporting departments to ensure the proper planning for short and long-term strategies.
- Establish appropriate accounting and management controls, processes and policies, and monitor compliance with each.
- Identify process improvements to improve accuracy and timeliness of accounting and reporting and the efficiency of the department and overall business.
- Analyze daily cash flow, forecasts sources and uses of cash, and initiates cash management activities to position property in advantageous financial position.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable gaming laws and company internal controls, policies, procedures, and Federal Regulations.
- Complete the daily and month end journal entries and the closing process requirements in an effective, efficient, and timely manner.
- Review reconciliations of the general ledger monthly for accuracy and timeliness.
- Produce timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Manage the preparation of and review financial reports to ensure reasonableness and completeness, and release reports or direct revision of reports.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of operating statistics and financial reports that will assist managers in operating their departments in an effective and efficient manner.
- Manage and coordinate the annual financial statement audits by their respective deadlines.
- Assist the Director of Finance with the creation of the annual budgets.Monitor and review company credit card transactions to ensure compliance with the credit card policy and procedures.
- Review cash disbursements to ensure propriety, reasonableness, and compliance with established procedures, and releases disbursements or investigates and resolves discrepancies.
- Review and interpret unusual transactions or unexpected financial results to determine the appropriate accounting treatment.
- Conduct him/her in a professional, courteous and responsive manner, which reflects positively on Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Lake Tahoe.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with the Nevada Gaming Control Board, Federal and Local Tax Authorities and any other applicable agency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
Must have ability to:
- Communicate effectively with all levels of employees as well as outside contacts to include gaming regulatory agencies and external auditors.
- Review and comprehend all necessary documentation.
- Observe and direct actions of subordinates.
- Thorough knowledge of all accounting procedures and regulations as they apply to the state of Nevada, the gaming industry and generally accepted accounting principles. Understanding of corporate and property-specific policies and procedures.
- These skills and abilities are typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or closely related field (CPA preferred), in addition to a minimum of seven years progressive experience in all aspects of accounting.
- Previous controller experience in the gaming industry and managerial experience preferred.
Regulatory and Compliance Responsibilities
In addition to the other duties described herein, each employee has the following responsibilities related to compliance with laws and regulations:
- Attend required training sessions offered by the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Lake Tahoe.
- Perform the duties described in compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Take the necessary steps to ensure minors are not allowed to gamble or loiter in gambling areas, drink alcoholic beverages, or purchase tobacco.
- Have knowledge of the ordinances, regulations, laws, policies, and procedures relating to the employee’s department.
- Have knowledge of the Hotel’s programs to address problem gambling.
- Consults with the appropriate individuals and maintains and effective system of written policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure compliance with Nevada Gaming Regulations and Minimum Internal Control Standards.
- Takes the appropriate steps to investigate exceptions, fraud, and potential violations and report such instances to the appropriate levels of management.
- Reports items addressed by the “Compliance Questionnaire” as they occur to the Compliance Officer or his designate.
- Reports any acts of wrongdoing on behalf of any staff member that they have knowledge of.
The Hard Rock Casino Lake Tahoe-- System of Internal Control
Everyone has a part in the internal control system at Hard Rock Casino. The roles vary depending upon what level of responsibility and the nature of involvement by the individual. Hard Rock Casino’ system of internal control integrates the activities, plans, attitudes, policies, skills and efforts of its associates working together to provide reasonable assurance that Hard Rock Casino will achieve its objectives and mission. Each Team Member is responsible for adhering to those performance programs, policies, procedures, guidelines and internal control standards established to guide the operation of Hard Rock Casino.